CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Potty Talk - The Asian Squat

So I had to go to the market to get a few things tonight and most of the things I needed were from an Asian supermarket. I stopped by the "99 Ranch Market" (an Asian supermarket) on my way home from work. While there I had to use the restroom and when I walked in I saw this sign on the door of each stall.
I thought this was one of the funniest things I've seen in a long time! I just had to share it. It may not be that funny to those who don't understand the Asian culture but to me it was hilarious.

The Asian Squat - I don't know how or why it started but it's just something that Asian people do.
Most of my childhood memories of my mother are her doing everyday chores and activities in the squatting position. She used to prepare meals, cook, bbq, smoke, garden, hose down the drive way, play cards, clean the floor etc. in the A.S. position. Even to this day whenever my mom comes over I still find her outside gardening or smoking a cigarette in the squatting position. Another thing she'd do, which made the above sign so totally funny to me, was squat on top of the toilet seat, when she'd go to the bathroom! So I totally understand when the sign in the bathroom of the "99 Ranch Market" asks, "Please don't stand on the toilet seat".
I guess some would think why the heck would someone stand on a toilet seat! Well, in Korea, the toilets look like this...
This is a more modern toilet in Korea. You just basically hoover over the white part and pray that your stuff goes in...That's why they squat!
So to my mom, and now I realize most Asian people, standing on the toilet seat to do your business is totally natural. If you think about it, it is a more logical way to poo. Squatting does help push "it" out from your intestines. Ha!

Yeah it's so incredibly gross but I think it's so funny that the problem is so common that they have to put up signs.
The above picture is my mom and sisters demonstrating the Asian Squat back in the 70's.
The very first picture of this post is the old school out houses in Korea. It was basically a little hut with a wooden framed hole in the ground. When I went to Korea 19 years ago, my uncle's toilet was very similar to this one. It was so scary to go to the bathroom at night so I did my potties in a small wastebasket and my cousin would take it out and "dump" it for me. My uncle told me that there were two hogs in the bottom of the hole that would eat your poo! EWWWWWW!

6 comments:

rachelsaysso said...

So, I've always loved you, but this post makes me LOOOOOOOVE you. I haven't laughed so hard at a sign in years. I want to hang it in my own bathroom for laughs. And it definitely needs to be hung in my work building's bathroom. There's an office full of Asian Ladies down the hall. Suddenly all those splatters on the seat make sense. Bleh!

Kerr Family said...

Okay, last part about the hogs...little bit nasty. Remind me to put Korea on my places to NEVER visit....lol.

This is actually really funny. I remember whenever my grandma visited (she's hawaiian and chinese) and she took me to use the bathroom she would teach me to do the A.S. above the potty. NEVER SIT ON THE POTTY! Well, I guess I'm not too asian any more because when I do the A.S. my legs start to tingle. I guess it's a talent you need to keep up with!

Okay, but seriously, maybe they need those signs on All bathrooms. People do need to wipe up the toilet if they leave anything on it.

Sabrina said...

OMG, Melonnie. Hilarious. Thanks for the cultural lesson on asian potty practices. The picture of the person standing on the toilet seat is foreve engrained into my brain. Thanks.

Caroline Haring said...

When I worked in Irvine someone always left dirty shoe prints on the toilet seat. It always ticked me off. It's almost as bad as leaving poo on the seat.

Unknown said...

You are so funny. Your blog is both educational and hilarious.

Laurel said...

According to Robert Bradley we ladies should all be doing that all day. Its one of the best positions to labor in and to give birth in, so we should practice a lot so our squatting muscles can be super strong for birthing babies.

Hi Melonnie! I found your blog from other people's blogs. Its nice to see how you guys are doing!