Okay so ever since Leah was about 2 months old, I've been planning her 1st Birthday party. Yeah I know it's crazy but since we (like most Americans) are struggling financially, I have been picking up things here and there when they are on sale.
So I've always had this hope that I could do Leah's 1st Birthday Party the traditional Korean way. Koreans go all out and celebrate the first 100 days of a babies life and then the first year. The reason being is that they believe that the baby's life starts at conception so the 9 months in the womb + 100 days comes out to be about a year. So on the 100th day of the baby's life they have what's called a "Baek-il" or "100 Day Celebration". Then the next big celebration is the baby's 1st year out of the womb called the "Dol". Centuries ago many babies in Korea didn't make it to their 1st year so when they did they had these big celebrations with traditional foods, clothing, decorations and activities. Now a days they really go all out and have huge parties similar to weddings! They are usually at a prestigious venue, totally catered, with live entertainment and hired decorators. They usually run from $2000-$15000! Well I've been trying to look for websites for ideas and DIY help and I came across 2 websites called, "Korean 1st Birthday" & "Little Seouls". They're websites that sell Korean stuff and have lots of ideas!
Anyways....I have the tendency to make a short story long..."Little Seouls" has a "Baby of the Month" contest and Leah won!!! I'm so proud!

"Little Seouls, September Baby"
This was the photo I had entered. Not one of my favorites of her but somebody liked it!
So Leah is now almost 9 months old! I realized I didn't post any of her 8 month photos so her are a few of my favorites!


So some of Leah's milestones for her 8th month are: her 1st tooth and a week later, her 2nd tooth, her 2nd word "Dada", she got her 1st bruise, she can wave on cue, she can clap, she crawls like a champ and she can stand on her own for a few seconds!
I really can't believe how fast time has passed! We are having so much fun with her!







2 comments:
She truly is a darling little girl. Maybe someday I'll actually get to see for real!!!!!
I beleive that the Koreans celebrate the 100ths life of a baby is a bit similar to a baby shower accept that the Korean party is more like a wedding big and expensive, but that shows how much they love their new life coming into the world. If i had the money I would do the same for my 8 month baby boy.
Congrats on the contest!
Post a Comment