CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Arrgg!!!

Yesterday morning at about 3:15am I suffered another migraine. I have been getting these migraines for about a year now. They are horrible. Each time I have one I think that my head will literally explode. I’m not able to function at all. I just lye in bed and force myself to sleep. I need complete darkness and zero noise (which is not possible). I don’t want to be bothered by anybody, not even Ben. It’s kind of weird because my body treats the migraine as a poison and I think that it tries to rid it anyway that it can. This is the part I hate most about migraines. Imagine having a pain in your head that feels like your brain just got run over by a Mack truck. Then you are experiencing all the joys of vomiting while trying your best not to move your head, neck or face. I become a blubbering mess and a total helpless baby (who doesn’t want help from anyone). I feel like I totally lost a day out of my life. I lost a day of work, a day of studying, a day of socializing, a day of spending time with my husband and friends. These migraines are a monthly visitor but I was really excited because I haven’t had one since December. Then this one snuck up on me. I’m just grateful that they happen in the mornings when I’m still at home. I have been to see my doctor a number of times and he even sent me to a neurologist to have an MRI and an MRA because I have family history of brain aneurysms. I thank my Heavenly Father that all I have are migraines. My doctor also told me that as soon as I get pregnant that the migraines should subside. This is also a reason that I can't be on medication. He said that if I plan on having children within the next 6 months that he didn't want me to be on any prescriptions. He also said that most people suffer from headaches but think that it’s a migraine. When you have a migraine you will know the difference. I found this little questionnaire online to determine if you are really suffering migraines or just a bad headache. I experience all listed symptoms every time I have a migraine. NO FAIR!

Is My Headache A Migraine?

Below are the most common symptoms of a migraine headache. If you answer “yes” to 3 or more any of them – odds are it’s a true migraine and not something else.

• Your headache feels like someone stabbed your brain with an ice pick

• Pain is usually one sided

• Your headache doesn’t respond to regular over-the-counter painkillers

• Pain is pulsating, pounding, or throbbing

• Light and sound bother you a lot

• Pain worsens when you move or bend over

• Pain becomes so intense that you throw up or become nauseated

• You get dizzy just by turning your head or when lying in bed

• You feel you have to lie down, go to bed, or withdraw to a quiet dark room

• Vision may be blurred, like a curtain coming down over your eyes

• You experience visual “auras” (zig-zag or geometric lines) before the headache strikes

• The headache lasts from several hours to several days (or even weeks)

The Bottom Line: If you have to stay home and lock yourself in the bedroom, then you probably have a migraine.

3 comments:

Caroline Haring said...

Hi Melonnie!
I'm so sorry you aren't feeling well. That makes me so sad. Hurry and get pregnant so you'll just be puking without the headache! (J/K)
Love ya,
Carrie

Caroline Haring said...

Hi Melonnie!
I'm so sorry you don't feel well. That makes me so sad. Hurry and get pregnant so you'll just be puking without the headache!(J/K)
Love ya,
Carrie

Zander's Ma said...

Melonnie,

I know all about the migraines; I've been suffering from migraines for the last several years I still don't know why they occur someday I will.

Rosemary