CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, September 7, 2008

Our "Little" Sons

I don't really know how it started but somehow, somewhere, sometime... it did.

Since the beginning of the year, Ben and I have acquired 4 new son's, T, Dalton, Bruce and Lewis.
Yes, we've been praying for children and yes, we are praying for multiples but I guess I wasn't specific enough in my prayers. Heavenly Father has quite a sense of humor. Sister Wright always told me that but I never really believed her. And my wonderful mother in law says when you pray for something you've got to be very specific. I guess that's where I made the mistake.

No they are not cute and cuddly like little babies but they sure do require a lot of attention and food. I make them breakfast every morning and take them to and from school and occasionally buy them dinner. Most of the time I'm playing mom to them. More then food they need someone to talk to and someone to encourage them and to love them. That's the part that's not always easy but it is very rewarding.



I feel I've learned a lot about parenting from these young men and maybe this is my practice before the real thing happens. Here are a few things I've learned:

1. How to feed 4 young men (weighing in at a total of 1180 lbs.) breakfast on $15 a week?

2. How to transport 6 full grown (and then some) adults to and from work and school in one vehicle?

3. How to send and receive text messages?

4. How to love unconditionally? (even if they don't know how to pick up after themselves)

5. How to aim air conditioner vents just right so I don't have to smell sweaty boys all the way home?

6. How to manage my time to make sure I'm taking care of my self and my husband too?

7. How to give love and attention evenly so that all the boys feel loved equally? (just recently learned how important this one is)

8. How to enjoy a football game even though I don't understand the sport at all? (I just cheer when everyone else does)

9. How to laugh and run while holding my breath, when one of them passes gas?

10. How to braid nappy, kinky, tangled hair?

I've also learned how nice it is to be needed and loved. Every night when we take the boys home they give me a hug and a kiss and tell me "Thank you Ben and Melonnie". I know these boys really appreciate us and that us being here is a big help to them both physically and mentally but I am really grateful for all that they've taught us too.



Thank you my "Little" Samoan Boys!

Fa'afetai tele lava!

6 comments:

Kerr Family said...

Melonnie, you really are one of the truest, sweetest, kindest people I know. I can't believe you do all that. I think they will remember your kindness and all that you do for them for the rest of their lives. Good luck with the baby making!

Jennifer said...

who are these boys? You are really kind!

Caroline Haring said...

I didn't know you picked up two more!! Holy cow, that's a lot of work. You're not planning on bringing home the whole football team are you? Those boys will always love you for taking such good care of them when they are so far away from their families. You and Ben are the sweetest angels on Earth (...well, besides Everett of course)

Jodie said...

OH my goodness!! How do you know these "little" guys? You amaze me. Just think, when it's time for your own, remember.... they usually come one at a time and don't weigh a total of 2000 lbs

Anonymous said...

WOW that's so wonderful what you're doing for the 4 boys. Well I saw them when I was there this summer right? I really have to say (what I already told Carol) that they are really nice guys and I think they really appreciate being loved by such amazing people - like Ben and you are.
I miss you 4 (Ben,Melonnie,Otis & Peanut) a lot!
Greetings from Germany!

Kerr Family said...

I know you are super busy but I just wanted to let you know that I miss your blogs! Hope you and Ben are doing great.